Yesterday evening we have upgraded the motherboard of the server which is hosting my website. This server runs in my basement for the last 8 years or so. I run Ubuntu 18.04LTS on it.
The server is quite a workhorse, it service the web with various web sites, e-mail services, and lot’s of storage. There are two 960GB SSD’s for the boot/root/home partitions, and 24x 6TByte disks for storage. These 24 disks are divided up in disk arrays.
The internal network is connected to a 10GB/s ethernet switch (Cisco SG550X-8port-Ethernet).
If I also look at the data produced at home, this is increasing a lot over the last years!
This graph shows the data added each year in orange, and the accumulated data in gray. The scale is logorithmic! Else you would not see anything in the early years. So last year I added about 802GB of data. I would say the source of that is the Nikon D850 with it’s huge RAW files and the Mavic Air with it’s 4k videos…
The new motherboard was due as we got lot’s of “overheat” warnings and the CPU begun to throttle. And as I’m going to travel a bit this summer… I did want to have a stable server.
The new HW is an AMD based server:
AMD RYZEN 5 2400G (AM4, 3.60GHz, Unlocked)
This CPU has a built in GPU, so no dedicated GPU required! really simplifies the setup
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro (AM4, AMD B450, ATX)
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 16GB, DDR4-2666, DIMM 288)
After a really smooth HW replacement, we had to adjust a few little things in the Ubuntu installation like the ethernet port names uns such. but we had finished the upgrade at about 9:30pm